The Student Network
The STAR national network is made up of 26,000 members in over 35 student groups based at universities across the UK.
From Glasgow to Exeter, Cardiff to London and Sussex to York, students all over the country welcome refugees in their communities.
Find a STAR group
See where STAR groups are using our Online Map
Start your own STAR group
STAR is continually growing! If there is not a STAR group at your university you can start a new STAR group and become part of a network of 26,000 student members.
To join the STAR network you need to:
- Register as a society at your students’ union or university
- Affiliate to the STAR national charity annually by signing the STAR_Affiliation_Agreement
Download our short guide to starting a STAR group:
How much will it cost? Nothing because STAR national fundraise for all the resources, but groups are encouraged to help by fundraising for STAR national throughout the year.
STAR groups affiliated to the national network get:
- To use the STAR name and logo
- Free materials to promote your group and refugees, e.g. banners, books, leaflets
- Free training on running STAR activities including committee training
- Assistance, direction and advice on volunteering and campaigning with refugees from the experienced national team
- The opportunity to join with other students to campaign nationally for refugees
- A say in the direction of STAR including a vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- To promote your group on the STAR website
- Discounts for the National Conference in November and on STAR merchandise
This includes regular support from the national team by phone, email and visits to your university.
Contact the national team to find out more about what you need to do to get started!