What is STAR?
STAR is a national charity of 12,000 students welcoming refugees to the UK, together we:
- Volunteer at local refugee projects
- Campaign to improve the lives of refugees
- Educate people about refugees and asylum
- Fundraise to welcome refugees
STAR is made up of over 30 groups at universities across the UK and a national team which co-ordinates and supports the groups. STAR groups are students’ union societies which are affiliated to the charity. The charity is governed by STAR’s Board of Trustees, elected annually by the students themselves.
University students have the skills to help a refugee rebuild their life in the UK. STAR works at over 40 refugee charities providing much needed assistance including:
- English Conversation Clubs where communication between refugees and students is fun, friendly and leads to real independence
- Drop ins where food and friendship are shared in equal measure
- Homework Clubs where those undergraduate study skills are passed on to young refugees working their way through school
Today’s students are tomorrow’s leaders and STAR students campaign for a future where Britain provides a truly safe haven for people fleeing persecution. We are campaigning for change in three ways:
Equal Access to higher education: we want people who are in the UK because they are fleeing persecution to be able to join us at university, this will only happen if they are classed as home students and are given access to bursaries and scholarships open to other vulnerable people
Students Against Detention: we want an end to the detained fast track process through which people seeking refugee protection are locked up as soon as they arrive in the UK, although they have committed no crime
Still Human Still Here: we want to end the enforced poverty of people seeking refugee protection by giving them permission to work and support themselves instead of relying on state handouts of just £36 per week
Students go to university to learn, so it’s a great place to learn the truth about asylum in the UK. We run talks, films, exhibitions, plays and a whole host of other educational activities on and off campus so that students are well informed about why people flee and what happens when they arrive in Britain.
Students are great at raising the money that says Refugees Welcome Here!
- Sporty STARs run marathons
- Funky STARs stage gigs
- Yummy STARs host cake sales
- Crazy STARs jump out of planes
Every penny makes a difference.
Keeping up with what’s going on at STAR is easy. Just ‘like’ us on Facebook or follow our tweets by clicking on the buttons.
If you’d prefer to get STAR news direct to your email inbox, simply sign up for one of our e-newsletters: