Friday, December 21, 2018

Time to apply! UCAS university applications closing 15th January

Refugees & asylum seekers can go to university in the UK & there are plenty of scholarships but you need to apply before 15th January!


Refugees & asylum seekers are allowed to study at university in the UK and there are scholarships to help out too.

To apply for undergraduate courses at university in the UK you go through UCAS – the University and Colleges Admissions Service. Your application must be in before the closing date of 15th January. It’s quite a complicated process so give yourself plenty of time to complete it.

If you have refugee status you will be classed as a “home student” this means that you pay lower home fees and can apply for a student loan to assist with both the fees and living costs.

If you are an asylum seeker you will probably be classed as an “international student” this means that you pay higher international fees and cannot apply for a student loan.

You can find out all the details about your rights to student finance and get advice from the website of Coram Migrant Children’s Project. Please do not contact STAR as we are not able to provide advice on individual cases.

The great news is that, thanks to campaigning by STAR, NUS, Article 26 and others there are now over 60 universities which have special scholarships for asylum seekers and refugees.

Every university manages its own scholarship and you can find the full list on the STAR website.

Posted by STAR team on 21/12/2018 at 03:21 PM